Tuition Assistance / NCPACE
Command Approval is the review and approval process prior to a Sailor’s Tuition Assistance (TA) or NCPACE application going forward for NCVEC authorization.
Payment for tuition will not exceed the following caps:
- $250.00 per semester hour
- $166.67 per quarter hour
- $16.67 per clock hour (for approved certificate/diploma programs only)
As of 01 October 2019, in accordance with NAVADMIN 114/19:
- TA and NCPACE DL will be limited to a fiscal year cap of 12 semester hours, 18 quarter hours, or 180 clock hours (or combination). The fiscal year cap applies to both TA and NCPACE DL combined.
- TA and NCPACE DL will be limited to a lifetime cap of 120 semester hours, 180 quarter hours, 1800 clock hours (or combination). The lifetime credit cap applies to both TA and NCPACE DL combined.
MyNavy Education is the system used by the Navy for TA and NCPACE processing. Sailors submit TA/NCPACE applications via MyNavy Education each time TA/NCPACE funding is requested for a specific course. Each course must be submitted on a separate TA/NCPACE application. MyNavy Education is accessed through the Navy College Program website.
For details regarding reservist eligibility see Who is Eligible? in the Tuition Assistance section of this website.
Commands must verify the following for Sailors seeking tuition assistance:
- Have been onboard one year at the first permanent duty station or granted a waiver by the CO and OIC.
- Are serving on active duty through the last day of the course.
- Have passed the most recent Physical Fitness Assessment (PFA) or received a waiver.
- Have passed most recent advancement exam, if applicable, and are recommended for advancement or promotion.
- Have not received a Non-Judicial Punishment (NJP) within 6 months or are not pending administrative separation.
- Are not under instruction in initial skills training or in a duty under instruction (DUINS) training status.
We recommend that all command approvers complete the TA/NCPACE Policy and Procedures Training to assist your Sailors and to better understand the TA/NCPACE process. Sailors must complete this training to be eligible for the program. You can access the training two ways:
- Log in and complete in MyNavy Education. Once completed, the results are recorded immediately in the Sailor's MyNavy Education record. Retain the completion certificate as proof of completion.
- Complete the training via the Navy College Program App, which you can download for both Apple and Android devices.
Command Approver Training is designed to:
- Ensure understanding of the command’s role in the Navy TA/NCPACE funding process.
- Increase command approver accountability.
- Outline responsibilities of the Sailor, Command Approver, and NCVEC staff in the funding process.
- Facilitate the seamless and efficient implementation of the Navy tuition assistance program.
- MP4 format
Updated: November 12, 2020