Paying for School – Programs for Officers

Graduate Education Voucher (GEV)

The Graduate Education Voucher program (GEV) was established to provide increased opportunity and incentive for selected Unrestricted Line (URL) officers who wish to obtain a master’s degree during off-duty hours. The GEV Program enables selected officers, with demonstrated superior performance and potential for future contributions to the Navy, to earn a Navy-relevant master’s degree leading to an approved subspecialty while meeting other Navy needs.

GEV will cover graduate costs, including tuition, books, and registration/application fees. GEV offers up to $40,000 per degree, with a maximum of $20,000 per fiscal year, and participants are allotted a maximum of 24 months to complete a degree program. The officer shall agree to remain on active duty following program completion for a period equal to three times the number of months of education up to a maximum of 36 months. This obligation is discharged concurrently with any other service obligation.

For more information regarding the Graduate Education Voucher program, see the at GEV Resources page.

Naval Postgraduate School

The mission of the Naval Postgraduate School small square with diagonal arrow extending from it is to provide relevant and unique advanced education and research programs designed to increase the combat effectiveness of commissioned officers of the Naval Service thereby enhancing the security of the United States.

Naval War College

The Professional Military Education (PME) programs of the Naval War College small square with diagonal arrow extending from it prepare leaders for the challenges of operational and/or strategic level leadership over the remainder of their careers as decision makers and problem solvers.

Law Education Program (LEP)

The Law Education Program (LEP) gives active-duty Navy officers the opportunity to enter law school, earn the Juris Doctor degree, and subsequently serve as career Navy judge advocates.

U.S. Navy JAG Corps small square with diagonal arrow extending from itwebsite provides more information on eligibility and application procedures. You can also view the instructions that govern the LEP resources page using the following links:

Officer Scholarship Program

Officers selected to participate in the Officer Scholarship Program by the United States Naval Academy (USNA) or the Naval Service Training Command (NSTC) must comply with the guidelines set forth in OPNAVINST 1520.24D small square with diagonal arrow extending from it.

Review the Scholarship Program SOP small square with diagonal arrow extending from it for more information.

Olmsted Foundation Scholar Program

The Olmsted Foundation Scholar Program small square with diagonal arrow extending from it provides select active duty officers serving in operational career fields with funding for two years of graduate study using a foreign language while providing overseas cultural and travel opportunities. Olmsted Scholars achieve fluency in a foreign language, gain a deep appreciation for foreign cultures, and acquire regional expertise by traveling and studying overseas. Olmsted Scholars routinely receive degrees for their graduate study at foreign universities.

Please review the OLMSTED Resources for additional information on the Olmsted Foundation Scholar Program and on application procedures.

Fleet Scholar Education Program (FSEP)

FSEP is a Navy talent management initiative that provides education opportunities to community-selected unrestricted line (URL) and Information Warfare Community (IWC) officers. FSEP selectees will attend an accredited graduate school of their choice in-residence (CONUS, Alaska and Hawaii) for up to 24 months to obtain a Navy-relevant degree leading to an approved subspecialty code. Distance learning, medical and legal education are not authorized under this program. Additional information on FSEP can be found at the Naval Postgraduate School FSEP small square with diagonal arrow extending from it page.

For questions on FSEP or to submit paperwork, contact the NCVEC by submitting